Saturday, March 15, 2014

Joint Hypermobility

I don't want to make this post sound whiny but it might so sorry. A few weeks ago I went to a rheumatologist which is basically a doctor that works with the joints. There, I was diagnosed with joint hypermobility syndrome, which is a connective tissue disorder. It means that the way my body produces collagen is messed up so my joints bend further than they are supposed to. This causes hyperextension and pain and easy injury and it's the reason why I'm so tired and in so much pain all the time and the cause of all my childhood injuries and more recent issues (like random periods of being unable to walk when I was 14 and 15) and it is not fun. It's also why I can do so many strange contortionist tricks. I'm going to another rheumatologist in a few weeks, this one at Duke, to see if I would benefit from physical therapy and also because I might have something called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Some doctors say it's the same thing as Joint Hypermobility Syndrome but others think it's different.
This is not what I would have asked for my life, as I was once very involved with running and dance, and had dreams of running marathons and dancing ballet on a professional stage. But, life doesn't always turn out the way you wish it to, and I'll just have to make the best of it and enjoy what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment