Thursday, October 10, 2013

Writing

I was a better writer as a child than I am today. This may make no sense. Shouldn't one improve over time? Shouldn't I even better today than last month, last year, 5 years ago? Yes.
But there is one problem, one thing that has kept me from continuing to develop my writing skills over the years. And that is logic. When I look back over my childhood writings, they were creative and imaginative, silly and comical. now, it is as if I have been tainted with logic. There is no more room for imaginative or comical, not when logic takes over and says "That can't actually happen."
Sure, over time, my grammar and vocabulary have improved, but not my creativity. The worst thing that writing can contain is overused clichés. Another reason my writing as a child was better than my writing now is that when I was a child, I had no idea what the clichés were to even know how to use them. Everything was creative because everything came from my brain only. Syntax and structure weren't as big of a deal, so creativity came out more easily. Now, the clichés are so ingrained into my head that they automatically flow from my fingers to the screen, or my pen to the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment