Thursday, October 10, 2013

Growing Up

Growing up, I was always the shortest kid in my class. My growth pattern wasn't even on the charts. I was the same size as, or even smaller than, kids two or three years younger than me. It was like this for years-in some restaurants I had to use a booster seat even after I stopped ordering off the kids' menu, and I was the last kid to still bring their car seat on field trips in elementary school. On the first day of school, teachers who didn't already know me would ask me if I was lost on my way to the kindergarten hallway. I was eight years old before I could reach the shortest water fountain. And as I navigated my way through the halls of middle school during my 6th grade year, people would often run into me, apologize, and say "Oh, you're so short that I didn't see you there!"
Despite the annoying difficulties of my small stature, I refused to let it bother me too much. So what if I still had to shop in the children's section for my clothes? They were cheaper there anyway! Plus, I could get free ice cream and get on the kiddie rides at theme parks. One thing my granddad told me that helped me endure the teasing was, "You aren't too short. After all, your legs reach the ground."
In 7th grade, I finally started to catch up with my peers. I now have friends who are shorter than me, and I stand proudly at the height of 5'2 3/4", though I probably won't grow any more. (I haven't given up hope on that one last 1/4 of an inch, though. I'll keep you guys updated on that).
You are awesome for reading this!

No comments:

Post a Comment