Monday, December 16, 2013

Youth and Government


Today I went to the Youth and Government Pre-Conference, and I think I’m really going to like this year a lot better than my freshman year. My freshman year was fun, but I felt shy and awkward and young. This year, a ton of my friends are going, and I’ve already met a couple of new people from other schools that seem really nice and hopefully I will get to know them better in February at the conference.

Youth and Government is really interesting because you see such a diversity of people there that you don’t ever see at the private Christian school I go to. Not only racial diversity, because now we’ve got some of that at school. But also diversity in political beliefs and opinions, and diversity in sexualities. It’s all very interesting to talk to people that I otherwise probably wouldn’t ever meet. Like today, a girl presented her bill which is about having insurance companies cover abortions, and that caused a lot of debate as abortion is pretty controversial. I mostly just sat and watched and realized that I have very unique opinions. I can’t completely agree with abortions, but I don’t think abortion clinics should be shut down since they are the safe way to have an abortion and women will have abortions somehow whether they’re legal or not; it’s been happening that way for years. However she didn’t seem fazed by the criticism at all and she was confident, and I admired her for that and I look forward to debating more bills in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment