Sunday, June 1, 2014

Battlefield Songs


I received a telegram last night.

I opened it, not knowing what it would say.

My lover a fallen soldier, sacrificed his life that day.

“He died bravely, honorably, won the fight.”

 

I opened my eyes this morning.

Sunlight streamed inside, the birds sung their song.

Don’t they know that I’m in mourning?

Don’t they understand that everything’s all wrong?

 

Today they’ll be sending his body on the train.

Nobody will be here to understand my pain.

But the birds will keep singing when they lay him in the ground,

Their song will guide me to a light I will have found.

For they sing of hope, a song bright and true;

A song that he heard on the battlefield too.

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. this is so pretty. i'm actually crying right now. i want to print this out and put it everywhere.

    ReplyDelete