Monday, April 21, 2014

Springtime From the Perspective of Someone with SAD

SAD.
Seasonal affective disorder.
Even though I've never been officially diagnosed, I'm like 99.99% sure I have it because all the symptoms match-depression every winter, and then stability during the spring since I was maybe 12 years old.
So I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that about 3 months out of every year life is gonna be pretty rough.

But I keep going. I'm healthy, well, as healthy as it's gonna get. I do all the right things-I stay productive and exercise and eat well and don't isolate but sometimes at night when no one answers their phone and I can't sleep the inevitable sadness comes. But, unlike someone with clinical depression, I have the hope of springtime-knowing that when the time changes, the days grow longer, and the flowers bloom, I will be okay again.
Just close your eyes and say that to yourself, again and again, "I will be okay." Because it's true.
During the long winters sometimes I'm not sure how I get through. There's friends, and music, and homework. Books, tumblr, my journal, movies, TV. And when all else fails, sleep. But when sleep won't come and I don't want to face the next day and it hasn't even come yet, sometimes I wonder what's the point. What's the point of facing this day after day, year after year?
And then spring comes, and I remember. I remember everything about life that is worth it. And I go outside and walk around and it is like I am hugging the earth, and I am sneezing my head off but I don't care, because the birds are chirping and the sky is blue, it's so pure and blue and it's like I can breathe again. I am okay again.

No comments:

Post a Comment